2017: One month down. Only Eleven to go.

Here we are, February 1st, 2017 — one month in to 2017 and already it’s shaping up to be a mixed bag, teetering on the fence.

Let’s see… As many of my readers know, I started 2017 with not one but two computers that decided to become vary ill. However, there was light at the end of that tunnel that was more than just fantastic. The motherboards on both computers were replaced, but the true deliverance came in the form of a technological angel who gifted me a second-hand laptop to replace the pathetic Netbook with 1Gb of RAM that I had been using while waiting for machines to be repaired. Because of this amazing gift, I can now write when out and about, sitting at some coffee shop somewhere, and get some amazing editing work done. (I don’t need to print everything out if I don’t want to. Save the trees!) As per my angel’s request, she will continue to go nameless, but she knows how much I love her.

On the down side, during this first month of 2017, I fell ill — very ill. I was coughing up a lung every single time I turned around — I could barely breathe because of it — and I had lost my voice. As I write this post, I still have very little volume in my voice — still croaky and squeaky, and the family is constantly teasing me. Thankfully, I’m on the mend now, but three weeks of coughing and lack of sleep was just down right miserable. It did absolutely nothing for my complexion either.

Of course, like all mothers, I wasn’t allowed to be the only one who got sick. My daughter decided that she too needed to be constantly up at night, coughing up a lung. Thankfully, my son and husband survived.

Normally come this time of year, I’m grateful for the new school year to start, desperate for the summer holidays to be over. However this year I came up with a brilliant plan to have quiet. My daughter spent the first week of January in Renwick at the New Zealand Scout Jamboree. As a consequence, she slept for most of the second week (recovering from Jamboree). But then she fell sick for the third week and the silence continued — sort-of. The fourth week, she and my son were getting ready to head back to school, finding uniforms and coordinating stationary. I will admit that these summer holidays were actually quiet.

Well, sort of. It might have been quiet on the home front, but it certainly wasn’t quiet on the world stage. We had the negativity flooding the social media feeds over the events in the USA.

I will gladly admit that I laughed at the photos of George W. Bush being covered in a plastic bag at the Inauguration. The look on his face was just priceless — so clearly a “Really?” expression. While many decided to make a joke of those photos, saying that he was embarrassed about the Inauguration, I personally believe that he was embarrassed alright, but probably more irritated with the idiot who decided to put the bag over her head in the first place. (I do hope someone got their ass chewed out.)

There was the Woman’s March on DC, stirring mixed emotions from woman around the world. While I agree with some of their argument, I honestly feel that some really didn’t know what they were actually marching for. Some said it was because of Trump. Others said it was for equality. Others just joined the crowd because they could. Saying that, it did spark some interesting conversations around the dinner table as my son tried to make sense of some of the many arguments surrounding women’s rights. (It didn’t do any favours for my voice though.)

Back to the positives from the last month, my local writers’ guild has released their next anthology — finally. I don’t have a story in it myself, but that’s no reason why I can’t be proud of what the organisation has a achieved as a whole.

As for my own writing, I’ve almost finished the first draft of this book on creating a writer’s on-line presence on a budget. I’m not sure how much of it is actually dribble and will find the cutting room floor over the course of the next few months, but I have a deadline for publication and I must adhere to it.

I’ve signed the paperwork for the conference that I’ll be presenting at later this year (I’m still not allowed to say which conference, but it’s a paid gig, so I’m happy). But I would say that my greatest achievement of 2017 to date (remembering that it’s only been one month) is that I’ve learned how to hula-hoop.

(It’s definitely not the best video in the world, and my son’s singing really needs some work, but it is proof that I can do it.)

Well, there are still eleven months left of 2017 and I have a lot of things that I wish to achieve in that time. In the meantime, I think I’ll just temporarily put the blinders on and go do some more hula-hooping.

P.S. I’d love to meet you on Twitter or Facebook.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ below. You can read other posts like it here.

© Copyright, Judy L Mohr 2017

Posted in Random and tagged , , .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *